Migration Agents Registration Authority
Migration Agents and the Code of Conduct
The Code of Conduct ensures that your registered migration agent will:
- be honest with you about your chances of securing a visa;
- keep you informed about the progress of your application and any changes that may affect it;
- be contactable during business hours and tell you if they change their contact details;
- act within the law, your best interests and protect your privacy;
- declare any interest they have that may affect your application and not act for you if there is a conflict;
- provide you with a written statement — before starting work — of the services to be provided, the estimated fees and other costs;
- charge a reasonable fee and, if you pay in advance, keep this in a separate bank account;
- provide you with an invoice listing the actual services completed and the amount payable;
- provide timely and correct advice and tell you in writing about the result of your application as soon as possible.
If you experience a problem with your registered migration agent you should try and resolve it with them. For help, contact the Office of the MARA.
Making a complaint to the Office of the MARA will not affect your visa application.
Office of the MARA
Under Australian law, the Office of the MARA:
- assesses and decides applications for registration as a migration agent;
- approves continuing professional development activities for agents;
- monitors the conduct of registered migration agents; and
- investigates complaints against registered migration agents and will discipline them when appropriate.
The Office of the MARA, however, cannot help you with your application/sponsorship or order a refund of your fees from your registered migration agent.
More information to help you can be found at www.mara.gov.au:
- Code of Conduct
- Consumer Guide
- Your rights – tips on using a registered migration agent
- Average agent fees
Office of the MARA
www.mara.gov.au or 1300 226 272
Check if a person is registered at
www.mara.gov.au and click on: MARA